Albuquerque, like each of the FBI’s local field offices, has a community outreach program that complements and strengthens our many efforts to protect you, your businesses, and your families in concrete ways through a range of activities and initiatives. The outreach programs are designed to build bridges and encourage dialogue among the diverse communities we serve.
FBI Citizens Academy Program
The Citizens Academy is a nine-week outreach program for business, religious, civic, and community leaders that provides an inside look at the FBI’s mission, goals, and objectives. Presentations and hands-on exercises are designed to demystify the organization and create new channels for working together and sharing information.
Background: In 2005, the Albuquerque Division of the FBI began its Citizens Academy Program to develop and enhance the relationship between the FBI and citizens of Albuquerque and outlying communities. Since 2005, Albuquerque has hosted the program each spring.
Nominations for Spring 2014 are now being accepted. The deadline is 10/25/2013.
Academy Goals and Objectives:
- To increase public awareness about the FBI, its mission, its activities, and its people;
- To provide an avenue for the FBI to hear and respond to community issues and concerns; and
- To strengthen relationships and improve understanding between the FBI and the communities it serves.
Application requirements: Potential candidates for the Citizens Academy must meet the following criteria:
- Have an interest in community affairs;
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Live or work within the jurisdiction of the local FBI Field Office;
- No prior felony convictions;
- No misdemeanor arrests within one year of application;
- Pass a security check assessment; and
- Be available to attend all sessions, with no more than two excused absences.
- Field Office review of all nominations/applications received.
- All applicants are notified of selection results.
For more information or to receive a nomination form, please contact Community Outreach Specialist at (505) 889-1300.