Your house’s safety is one of the most important things you need to live a healthy and happy life. You should have some home safety items in place to ensure that your house is safe. These things should be in place because any incident can occur inside a house. The safety items are installed to ensure that no safety hazard comes your way.
The safety precautions include the fire alarm, cleanliness, keeping stuff at their exact place, keeping sharp things away from children, etc. These things also help to maintain discipline inside the house.
We have prepared a complete safety checklist for the home. You can check these to see which ones you have followed and which ones are still left. Make sure to implement all the points accordingly for safety at home.
If you have moved to a new house, then this checklist can be very valuable for you. You can keep everything in check from the starting that will help in organizing the items better.
Now let’s get right into the home safety rules.
These points have to be considered for the safety of the parent and the kid. Following these points will help create a safe environment.
- Keep all the sharp objects such as nail files, scissors, penknives, etc., out of reach inside a box, which doesn’t cause any mishap.
- Always keep any cords away from the reach of your children as they can cause cuts.
- Keep all the toiletries, medicines, and other products inside a drawer. The sedatives or narcotics should be kept inside a locker to keep the children away from these things. Its usage can be dangerous.
- Use cribs for small children and choose a mattress carefully that fits it for the kid’s comfort and safety.
- Check before leaving that the crib’s bolts and screws are placed correctly and the sides are firmly in place.
- Attach the furniture to the wall to not to fall on the kid when he is playing. Also, ensure that a safety belt is in place and can be used properly.
- You should use a soft mat under the changing table and crib to minimize the effect during a fall.
- Check the water heater that doesn’t boil the water that can be harmful to the skin if kept unchecked.
- Remove all the toys from the crib when the infant becomes capable of raising his head or knees. It will decrease the chance of any harm from those hanging toys.
- Don’t leave any part of a toy on the floor in the baby’s room as they might crawl inside the space and harm them from it.
- The toy box’s hinges should not be heavy or lockable, so the infant doesn’t lock himself inside it.
- Always keep the crib or bed away from the windows. And make sure that the windows are in place and cannot be opened or broken easily.
- There should always be a smoke alarm in every house if a fire starts building up.
- Buy a safe in which you can keep all your valuables. It will keep all your essential items safe from robbery or theft.
You should add these things to your hallway as preventive measures.
- Install a smoke alarm in the hallway in case of fire. It will alert you before any significant damage in time.
- Place rugs with tape to get out of place, and no one falls due to it.
- There should be nightlights in the hallway so anyone can securely move all around. The lights should be with motion detectors to save energy too.
The things that can be improved and done to ensure the safety of the home are:
- Place the plastic bags or any other type of bags in a secure place away from the reach of children
- While cooking, the stove handles should be kept inward to be on the safer side.
- Keep all the glass objects such as plates, mugs, glasses in an upper compartment because they can be dangerous for small kids.
- Always check the appliances and their switches to see if there are any chances they can short-circuit.
- Clean the hood regularly to make sure the air escapes out and doesn’t cause any damage.
- You should also clean the water filters frequently because it is essential for life.
- Keep your fridge and anything related to water and food away from pollutants.
- Make sure that the kitchen circuits are not overloaded.
- Install safety latches on the circuits if you have any small children in your home. Also, keep the cupboards locked for security.
You should follow these simple rules to make your bathroom a safe place.
- Ensure that the showerheads and taps are clean.
- Check to see the pipes are rust-free and clean. Check for signs of leakage and if there are any, get it fixed.
- Locate and check the main shut-off valve to check for any leakage.
- Add non-slip mats inside the bathrooms to prevent any fall.
Living Room’s Checklist
Keep these points in mind and examine the ones you have already done.
- Keep an eye on the air ducts and clean them to ensure that the air you are breathing is clean and safe.
- Change and clean the air filters of your air conditioner regularly.
- Install fire and smoke alarms in case any incident happens.
- Check the windows and doors to examine if they are firmly in place to minimize the risk of theft.
- There should be proper lighting inside the living room because it the central area of your house and should be adequately lighted for people to move across the place.
- Add non-skid tapes to your stairs and check the handrail. If it feels loose, get it fixed immediately.
- If there is any damaged wall, get it fixed as it can be dangerous in various aspects that you might not know about
- Create an emergency plan in case anything sudden happens. An exit drill should be held so that the incident doesn’t create a panic.
- You should have all the emergency numbers insight so that anyone can call them in time.
It would be best to keep a Few things present outdoor in check that are:
- Add new locks if you think the old ones cannot provide extreme security.
- Switch to smart locks with keyless entry
- Check the roof of the house to ensure there are no holes or missing pieces.
- Keep an eye on any damage to the exterior of the house. See if the walls of the corners are excellent
- Install security lightings to see who is at the door outside at night. It is for extra security that is needed in today’s era.
- If there are any plants, see if they have spikes or are harmful to the children or passing by a person
- Check the gutters to see that the rainwater is being drained out.
- Look out if there is any hazardous material present outside of the house. Is any then eliminate them
- You should install a CCTV camera and an alarm system outside your house. There have been many thefts and robberies, so having a camera can save you from specific incidents.
Other Basic Necessities Checklist
You should need these necessary supplies in your house. These are called home safety items.
- You should have a First aid kit with all the necessary items that you can use at the time of any incident.
- Buy some tools so that you can fix anything by yourself that gets damaged.
- Your house numbers should be visible to anyone visiting your house.
- You should know all about the electrical system in your house. If something happens, you might understand from where you can switch off the power for safety.
- You should have all the medications available at home in a time of need.
- You should have a fire extinguisher inside your house and reachable to anyone so you can use it in case of fire
- Check the garbage and drain disposal to see that they are correctly being treated and discarded.
Why should you follow these home safety rules?
These are all the basic rules that you should keep in mind while moving to a new house or changing a few things in your existing one. These help you to create a secure environment for your children and yourself.
Suppose you have a basement in your house. In that case, you should check its electrical system, change the filters and see all the necessary changes also discussed in the main living area checklist.
So these were all the details that you might want to consider. You can carefully go through every moment to ensure that you are on track and have successfully followed all of them. If you think of anything else that is required for home safety, then do let us know.
So here’s all from my side. Remember to check all the points you have done and try to do all the others that are still left unchecked. CWP
Community Watch Paper blogs:
Bedroom Community: What are they